Amazon parrots are one of the most popular species of pet birds, known for their colorful plumage, intelligence, and affectionate personalities. But if you’re considering adding one of these feathered friends to your household, you may wonder, “How much is an Amazon parrot?”
The cost of an Amazon parrot can vary depending on several factors, including the breed, age, gender, appearance, temperament, and bird’s health. On average, a pet Amazon parrot will cost between $1,000 and $2,500, but prices can range from as low as $500. Also, it could be as high as $10,000 for rare breeds or $3,500 for specially-trained birds.
This guide will help you to learn everything you need to know about buying and caring for an Amazon parrot. We will also discuss where to buy your bird and what to look for in a reputable breeder or pet store. Finally, we will tackle how to provide proper care and nutrition to keep your parrot healthy and happy.
An Overview Of Prices Of Different Amazon Parrot Breeds
Here is a table answering the question, “How much are Amazon parrots?”
|No.||Breed Name||Average Price Range|
|1||Blue-Fronted Amazon||$1,500 – $2,550|
|2||Yellow-Naped Amazon||$1,200 – $2,500|
|3||Double Yellow-Headed Amazon||$2,000 – $3,500|
|4||Lilac-Crowned Amazon||$1,100 – $2,000|
|5||Mealy Amazon||$1,000 – $2,400|
|6||Red-Lored Amazon||$1,000 – $2,100|
|7||Orange-winged Amazon||$500 – $1,500|
|8||Green cheeked Amazon||$1,300 – $1,800|
|9||Vinaceous Amazon (Rare breed)||Around $10,000|
|10||Red-crowned Amazon (Rare breed)||Around $5,000|
Factors That Affect The Cost Of An Amazon Parrot
Some of the most important factors that can influence the price of an Amazon parrot are:
- Species: Different species of Amazon parrots can have different price points. For example, a Blue-fronted Amazon parrot may be more expensive than an Orange-winged Amazon parrot.
- Age: Younger birds are typically more expensive than older birds, as they have a longer life expectancy and more time to bond with their new owner. For example, a hand-raised baby Amazon parrot can cost around $1,500 to $3,500.
- Coloration: Birds with rare or unusual coloration may be more expensive than those with common coloring. For example, the Yellow-naped Amazon can come in green, blue, and yellow variations The blue variation is the most expensive at around $2,000 to $2,550.
- Rarity: Some species are rare and more difficult to find, which can increase the price. For example, the Vinaceous Amazon, native to Brazil, is highly endangered and can cost up to $10,000. Similarly, the Red-crowned Amazon, native to Mexico, is rare and can be priced at $5,000 or more.
- Breeder: A breeder who has a good track record of producing healthy and well-adjusted birds may charge more for their birds. This is because these breeders invest a tremendous amount of time and resources into their breeding program, aiming to place their birds in loving homes.
- Location: Due to availability and demand, birds may be more expensive in certain areas of the country. For example, in areas where Amazon Parrots are common, they cost lower.
Additional Costing Areas for Amazon Parrots
In addition to the initial purchase price, there are several other cost areas to consider when owning an Amazon parrot. These include;
Your Amazon parrot will require a large secure cage with plenty of space to move around, climb, and play. The size of the cage will be determined by the size of your bird and how much time it spends outside of the cage. A high-quality cage suitable for an Amazon parrot can cost between $200 and $350, depending on size and features.
Birds are sensitive animals that can conceal symptoms of illness, so it’s critical to find an avian veterinarian who can provide specialized care for your bird. Monthly check-ups can range from $25 to $200, depending on the parrot’s health.
Amazon parrots require a varied and nutritious diet that includes fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein sources. High-quality bird food can cost around $25 to $60 per month. You may also need supplements and vitamins to ensure your bird gets all the nutrients it needs. These cost around $20 to $50 per month.
Amazon parrots require grooming regularly to keep their feathers, beaks, and nails in good condition. This includes trimming the nails and beak, bathing, and preening. Grooming includes purchasing a nail trimmer and bird-safe shampoo for your bird. This could cost you around $25.
Toys And Accessories
Amazon parrots are intelligent and curious animals that require mental stimulation and enrichment to stay healthy and happy. This includes toys and accessories such as perches, swings, ladders, puzzles, food, and water bowls. Depending on the type and quality, these items can range from $20 to $70 each.
Where Can I Buy Amazon Parrots?
If you have decided to purchase an Amazon parrot, the next question that comes to mind is where to buy one. Here are some of the most common places:
A good breeder will provide you with a healthy, well-socialized bird and usually offer advice even after the sale. When selecting a breeder, do your homework and look into their reputation, reviews, and credentials.
Many pet stores sell Amazon parrots, but it’s important to be cautious. Some pet stores may fail to provide adequate care and socialization for their birds, leading to health and behavioral issues.
If you decide to buy from a pet store, make sure it specializes in birds and has a good reputation.
Bird shows are a great place to meet breeders and see different bird breeds in person. You can find an Amazon parrot breeder at a bird show and get advice and information from other bird enthusiasts.
Online shopping has become popular in recent years. Many breeders and pet stores have online stores where you can purchase an Amazon parrot. However, when purchasing online, it’s important to be cautious; always research the seller’s reputation and reviews.
Before purchasing, you can also request photos, videos, and documentation on the bird’s health and breeding history.
How Can I Save Money When Buying And Caring For An Amazon Parrot?
Buying an Amazon parrot can be a significant investment. So understandably, you would want to find ways to save money. Here are some tips for saving money when buying an Amazon parrot:
Adopt A Bird
Adopting a bird from a rescue or shelter can be a great way to save money because adoption fees are typically lower than buying a bird from a breeder or pet store.
Furthermore, many rescues and shelters will provide you with background and personality information about the bird. This will allow you to decide whether the bird is a good fit for your home.
Consider An Older Bird
Older birds may be less expensive than younger birds because they are past their prime breeding years and may be in lower demand. Furthermore, older birds can be excellent companions because they have already been trained or socialized to some extent.
DIY Toys And Accessories
Consider making your toys and accessories using household items like paper towel rolls, cardboard boxes, and untreated wood. There are many DIY toy and accessory tutorials available online. Also, instead of buying expensive perches, you can make your own using natural perches from safe woods such as apple or pear wood.
Shop In Bulk
Purchasing items such as food in bulk. This saves additional costs of going to the shop now and then. Also, many sellers offer discounts when you buy items in bulk.
Invest In Preventative Care
While this might seem counteractive, investing in preventative care can save you money in the long run. Regular check-ups and vaccinations can help prevent costly health problems down the road.
Tips On How To Choose A Reputable Seller
Here are some tips on how to choose a reputable seller:
- Do your research: Before purchasing an Amazon parrot, research potential sellers thoroughly. Look for online reviews and ratings, and check with bird clubs or avian veterinarians for recommendations.
- Ask questions: When you contact a seller, ask many questions about the bird’s history, care, and temperament. A reputable seller will gladly answer your questions and provide information about the bird’s health, diet, and living conditions.
- Request documentation: A reputable seller should be able to provide documentation proving the bird has been vet-checked and is disease-free. They should also be able to tell you about the bird’s origins and previous owners.
- Visit the seller: Pay a personal visit to inspect the bird and its living conditions. Look for neglect or poor care, such as dirty cages or malnourished birds.
Also Read: How Much Do Quaker Parrots Cost
The cost of an Amazon parrot varies greatly depending on breed, age, and other factors. While a parrot can be found for as little as $500, the average price for a pet Amazon parrot is between $1,000 and $3,500. Breed rarity, age, location, and a breeder are all factors that can influence the price.
Buying an Amazon parrot from a reputable source that can provide documentation on the bird’s health and breeding history is critical. Pet stores, breeders, and online marketplaces are all viable options for purchasing a parrot. Still, it’s critical to do your homework and only purchase from a seller with a proven track record.
Once you’ve purchased an Amazon parrot, you must take proper care of it to ensure its health and happiness.
Hello, this is Frank Swanson, the owner, and operator of Pet Info Hut. I created this website as a way to share my love of pets with the world. I have over 7 years of experience working with animals, and I have a passion for helping people care for their pets. I hope that you find my website useful and informative. Thanks for visiting!